Thursday, July 21, 2011

Three Boys on a Train

It has been too long but the well was dry on inspiration...but something happened on Tuesday that sparked a little...

Monday and Tuesday I was able to spend my days in DC because of a training course...so I got to play city girl with my Starbucks and my ear phones navigating my way through the Metro system...it's the little things that make me happy and sound like a huge dorkwad!  Three young guys hopped in at one of the stops...multi colored hair, baggy and even a skinny jean, with pierced faces and ears - two were totally punked out...the third was wearing many fantastic beaded bracelets...they were being loud and deliberate with their conversation...my conclusion after listening was they had just either been profiled by someone or had gotten into some trouble with a Metro cop...I could tell from the way one guy was talking it was weighing heavily on his mind and he was upset and anxious...So he wanted us all to be intimidated by them or to look at them like they were weirdos...so I smiled and laughed at appropriate moments...because it was attention he was seeking I could tell...he was expecting to be cautiously ignored or glared at but...as they put their punk rocker angst on display...He had a look in his eye that I recognized daring me or anyone to say something to him...something to prove maybe or just waiting for our disapproval...they continued talking loudly about getting effed up...all the while fidgeting around the train car...I hated to get off before them but I knew from their conversation they were headed to Maryland...so I smiled one last smile in their direction and exited the train...

In my head I wished that he would say something directly to me or ask me what I was smiling at...because I would have told him that he reminded me of you...that I wasn't scared of his hair or his piercings because afterall...it is just hair and metal...

No comments:

Post a Comment