Friday, June 10, 2011

Life lessons from Steel Magnolias Part 1: Ham it up

I have been quoting the movie Steel Magnolias for years...and...frankly, if you haven't seen it, you are missing out...as Truvy (portrayed by Dolly Parton) said, "laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."  I can remember howling laughing at Ouiser and Clairee at an age too young to truly appreciate it fully...One of my favorite scenes finds Ouiser and Clairee shopping for food to take to their friend M'Lynn's home while she is in the hospital...(not really a spoliler)...

Ouiser Boudreaux: Clairee, this is just a gesture. We're not feedin' Drum until the end of time.
Clairee Belcher: Drum loves pork and beans. Eats 'em with everything.
Ouiser Boudreaux: That explains a lot.

If there are Southerners around, there will always be comfort food and words of wisdom whether you want it or not...it's a blessing and curse...I don't know how the delivering of food to the sick and bereaved began...and I don't need to know...but it's customary for friends, family and church folks to drop off covered dishes for the family...when my brother died...I swear, I'd never seen so much ham in my life...I've never liked ham which is probably why the image is stained in my memory...the amount of ham became amusing to us all and nice comedic break between tears...sullen faces delivering covered dishes and sandwich platters (oh, the never ending sandwich platter)...their dishes showing their sympathy when no words can do justice...

I never really looked at this tradition as anything more than just that...a tradition...a nice gesture so the family has one less thing to worry about...during a time when the last thing anyone can or wants to do is eat...But to me it became just a little more...I heard from that dish of butter beans... "I don't know what to say, but I'm here, I care."...and that was enough for me...because sometimes the last thing you want to make is small talk...

So don't be afraid to take a dish (homemade or even a sandwich platter), an edible arrangement, bagels, or even fresh fruit - most people aren't thinking about eating and appreciate food to graze on or offer guests(especially the ones who talk a lot). 
"It’s in the Freezes Beautifully section of my cookbook and I want to take something that freezes beautifully."
- Annelle, Steel Magnolias

No comments:

Post a Comment