Monday, May 9, 2011

Our mom, a Secret, Two Ducks, and a Dog

And not in that order....


GILBERT, SC (WIS) - Mothers don't have to be blood relatives. Two ducklings have a mom of sorts that prove it.
Ginger is a golden retriever. She has adopted the two little ducklings.
Her owner said Ginger loves to play with the ducklings and they follow her everywhere. "She's supposed to be out hunting ducks and retrieving them after people shoot them or whatever," said owner Michelle French, "And you see she's never going to do that, hopefully."
After two months of foster care via Ginger, the ducklings will soon be released onto Lake Murray. Whether they go out on their own will be a different story.
postsecret.com Mother's Day 2011
I can't pretend that Mother's Day doesn't bring up thoughts of you...you're half of the reason she is a mom...since you have been gone I have become more aware that our mom is a mother...a mother who lost a child...a feeling that no parent should have to experience...even though I am not a parent...I have watched our two parents grieve for their loss...I was very afraid the sadness would overcome our mother...that I would lose the mother I knew forever...her love for you is so strong that even I would have understood why...It was my greatest fear...but she is stronger than even I could have imagined...she came out of her sadness, hurt and other emotions that I won't belittle with adjectives...she knows that your pain is over, she no longer has to worry if you're cold, hungry or hurting...for years mom took us to lunch on Mother's day - she'd say if it weren't for us she wouldn't be a mother...the first couple of years after you were gone...I tried really hard to make the day special even when I could tell the sadness was overwhelming...but because she is my mother she smiled through the pain and the tears...I don't tell you these things to make hurt your feelings or to make you feel guilty...I tell you so you know that she is OK - she loves you...her little buckaroo.  The song you wrote her for Mother's Day is framed and hangs on the wall...

One of my favorite things about our mom is how our house was always the place all of our friends were welcome...even when they weren't welcome at home.  She was always there with a smile and an ear...she probably knows more secrets about our friends than we do...she's a vault!  She is the best person I know...and if I can be half the woman she is, I'll consider myself lucky.  

No comments:

Post a Comment